[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Web server update problem

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Frode Hoem wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to update the files
>  on a web-server through a firewall without having to
>  sit at the servers console or using a write protected HD
>  updated on the inside of the firewall ?

One of my clients uses "Pilot Network Services" (In Alemeda, CA) as
their ISP. Part of the service provided by Pilot is a WWW server
"outside" the firewall. To implement the server, Pilot provides
a 'push' tool.  The client's webmaster(s) create a clone of the
external WWW and FTP data on an internal system. Everything is
fully tested there (which is why Lotus notes wouldn't be a
general solution).  Then the webmaster executes the 'push' command
which analyzes the directory structure for changes and bundles up
a set of deltas into a transaction. PGP is used to protect the data
and authenticate the update request.  Once authenticated, the
receiving process applies the updates.

This is the general structure of what is done. I've not bothered
to learn details like what the transfer mechanism is (email, ftp,
HTTP PUT, etc. are possiblities).

Anyone with similar requirements might contact Pilot re. possibly
acquiring the tools they use.

Dave MOrris